"This was clearly ego driven, the desire to better my role in a story I was already in."
"Why is it when we are trying to say ‘I am sorry’ that we can’t come out and say, ‘I’m sorry’... Looking back, it is very clear I never intended to. It got mixed up. It got turned around in my mind.... I know why people feel the way they do... I get this. I am responsible for this. I am sorry for what happened here. I am different as a result, and I expect to be held to a different standard.... I would like to take this opportunity to say that what has happened in the past has been identified and torn apart by me and has been fixed and has been dealt with... Going forward, there are going to be different rules of the road... I was reading these newspaper stories, not liking the person I was reading about... These statements I made, I own this, I own up to this.... In our work, I have always treated words very carefully.... It is clear that after work, when I got out of the building, when I got out of that realm, I used a double standard. Something changed, and I was sloppy, and I said things that weren’t true. Looking back, that is plain."That's him, treating words very carefully. Words are his stock in trade. He's used them and he's still using them. For his purposes. I can't imagine why we'd consume what he's serving.
